Diversity and inclusion are vital, but not everyone completely understands what this means or how to best practice it. In his book The Inclusive Mindset, award-winning entrepreneur Justin Jones-Fosu explains how to cultivate diversity in your everyday life. Here, Shannon Waller talks to Justin about what led him to educating people on this topic and about his company, Work Meaningful, which is helping people improve workplace engagement and more.
- The person Justin credits for inspiring his approach to diversity and inclusion.'
- How Justin’s family brought diversity into their home when he was growing up.
- The difference between inclusivity being a mandate and a mindset.
- The actions that make up Justin’s definition of diversity inclusion.
- Community influence: When we look back on our journey, we realize that so many aspects of community and life influenced us in major ways.
- True diversity: When we stand up for the needs of others, even when it has nothing to do with us, that’s true diversity.
- Bring in meaning: You can’t always find meaning in your work, but you can bring meaning to your work no matter what situation you’re in.
- Environment engagement: Leaders don’t create engagement; they create environments where people can best engage themselves.
- More categories: There are more categories of diversity than many people think.
- Don’t engage: If you don’t see yourself as part of the conversation, you don’t choose to engage in it.
- Just selfishness: If the only diversity you talk about is your own, that isn’t diversity, it’s actually selfishness.