Many successful entrepreneurs who are admired from the outside often feel like failures. In this episode, Dan Sullivan explains that feeling successful depends on how you’re measuring your progress.
Here’s some of what you’ll learn in this episode:
- The difference between an ideal and a goal.
- How the ideal motivates us emotionally.
- The mistake that can lead you to thinking you haven’t reached your goal when you have.
- Why you have to look backward after moving forward.
- Can’t reach: You can always see the horizon line in the distance ahead, but you can never reach it.
- Going backward: Entrepreneurs who aren’t using the right measurements feel worse the more skillful they become.
- Always fall short: If you measure against the ideal, you’ll always fall short.
- Measuring back: Measuring back to where you started is the only way to see how far you’ve come.
- Very demoralizing: Working hard and feeling like you’re making no progress is very demoralizing.