At Strategic Coach, we talk a lot about growth, and it’s a theme you’ll see recurring through all our media aimed at entrepreneurs and others.
Why? Why this imperative to grow?
Sure, the market benefits when entrepreneurs extend themselves, but growth is important at a personal level too. Growth is simply the best way to learn the mechanics of life, to learn about yourself, to make a contribution to others, and to have fun.
You’re going to put in the time anyway, so you might as well spend it doing something that’s constantly fascinating and motivating to you.
Some entrepreneurs are content to reach a certain level of success, then use their business as a lifestyle support system. This is fine, but they shouldn’t be surprised when they’re bypassed by someone who’s approaching the work with passion, creativity, and commitment.
The decision to grow is nothing short of deciding to take charge of your own future. When you do this, new ideas, opportunities, and resources flow toward you, and positive effects ripple out from you as you help others learn, grow, and use their own capabilities to the fullest too.
We’ve identified 10 principles we call “The Laws of Lifetime Growth”:
- Always make your future bigger than your past.
- Always make your learning greater than your experience.
- Always make your contribution bigger than your reward.
- Always make your performance greater than your applause.
- Always make your gratitude greater than your success.
- Always make your enjoyment greater than your effort.
- Always make your cooperation greater than your status.
- Always make your confidence greater than your comfort.
- Always make your purpose greater than your money.
- Always make your questions bigger than your answers.
When you follow these principles, growth becomes a regular, sustainable, energizing force in your life, and it leads you away from the pitfalls entrepreneurs can fall into. The growth you achieve will give you wisdom, open up your imagination, and transform your life and the lives around you for the better.
To get a deeper understanding of these 10 laws and how to apply them in your business and your life, see our best-selling book, The Laws of Lifetime Growth.